student at whiteboard

New Family FAQs

Answers to Commonly Asked Questions About Landmark School

landmark high school seniors receiving award at graduationParents have many questions when their students enroll in a new school. We've compiled answers to questions we're often asked about the Elementary•Middle (EMS) and High School (HS).

How are students placed in classes?

EMS: The Campus Director, Academic Dean, and department heads review testing and file information, placement exams, and reports from previous school years, including teacher recommendations. Ultimately, administrators and department heads place students in classes deemed to be the best fit for that child based on skill level, learning style, peer group, and age.

HS: Generally the Academic Dean, department heads, and academic advisors review testing and file information, placement exams, and reports from previous years, including teacher recommendations. Ultimately, administrators, department heads and academic advisors place students in classes deemed to be the best fit for that child based on skill level, learning style, peer group, and age.

When will my child receive his/her class schedule?

EMS: Students receive their class schedules on the second day of the program.

HS: Students receive their class schedules at the end of orientation period.

When can I meet my child’s academic advisor?

EMS: Academic advisors are assigned once the schedule is created. They will contact you within the first two weeks of school, and you can make arrangements to meet at that time.

HS: The normal procedure begins at the end of August when academic advisors return, review files, and make assignments. During the orientation process, you will be given the name of your child’s academic advisor. If you are unable to attend the orientation events, you can expect communication from your child’s academic advisor during the first two weeks of school. You should feel free to subsequently contact your child’s academic advisor at any time. 

When can I meet my child’s teachers?

Conferences with teachers are scheduled twice each year, at Parents' Days held in the fall and spring. There are other less formal opportunities to meet at school events.

How do I get regular updates about how my child is doing in class?

There are three main ways to get updates: reports, conferences, and from academic advisors. Reports are issued quarterly, conferences are scheduled on Parents' Days, and updates can be arranged through your child’s academic advisor on a routine basis as determined by the two of you.

Where can I find the academic year school calendar?

We publish the EMS Academic Year Calendar or the HS Academic Year Calendar on our website.

What is the dress code for students at Landmark School?

Illustrations and an explanation of the EMS Dress Code and HS Dress Code.

EMS: Typically, more than half of our students stay after school for activities. These range from interscholastic sports (e.g., soccer, basketball, track, baseball) to club activities (e.g., drama, bike club, games club, croquet club, art, wood shop) to special programs offered through outside vendors (e.g. fencing, KnowAtom science program).

HS: Residents are required to participate in an after-school sports or activity program. Day students are welcome to and encouraged to participate as well. Beyond the sports programs, we offer art, woodworking, weight lifting (on and off campus), yoga, auto mechanics, study hall, drama, dance, and technical theater (set design) on a consistent basis. At times we have offered mountain biking, bouldering, skate boarding, and skiing. These are examples of activities that have been offered to students; we can't guarantee that all of them will be offered every year.

My child will be a resident. What does he/she need to bring?

Please refer to this list of what residential students should bring to school.

My child has special dietary needs. Who do I contact to discuss his/her diet?

You can discuss dietary needs with Jessica Fauci, R.N., director of Health Services at 978-236-3264.

I would like to ship items to my high school student. Where can I send packages?

Packages should be sent to:
Landmark School
412 Hale Street
Prides Crossing, MA 01965
Please include your child’s name. There is no need to include the residence hall (dorm) name.

I am interested in carpooling with other families. How can I find out who lives in my area?

Parents interested in carpooling should complete and return the Landmark Release form included in the registration forms or when you register online. You will receive a copy of the Directory via email periodically throughout the summer. 

How can I get to know other Landmark parents?

The Landmark Parents Association (LPA) is an active and engaged group of parents who develop programs to benefit the entire Landmark community. There are several ways to stay connected to your child’s Landmark experience, get involved, and meet other Landmark families. The LPA sponsors monthly meetings and events and produces an email newsletter.